Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day 1: Part II: We're on time.


11:30 a.m.

The man beside me reads nothing but the sports section in the newspaper, meaning he is my least favorite phylum of male. But I love him still. He’s delightfully silent, uninteresting and furthermore uninterested. He can go down as a happy memory in my voyage.


So, I’m gone. Immediately upon finding my seat, Elizabeth Gilbert and I opened up conversation. The attendants’ and captains’ routine announcements were background noise to our chatter. I paused only to hear the throttle of the engine rev and release.


Always, in every flight I’ve ever taken, I think of Pa. No matter where he is in time or space, he’s always next to me in a flight, giving me lessons on the sources of an airplane’s grumbles, like a doctor teaching biology from a cadaver to eager students.


The pilot taxis us down the runway while Elizabeth explains something to me in her book. The plane stalls and I stall to listen to us leave Earth’s grips.


“The captain,” Pa says, “is releasing the breaks and pushing the throttle forward – listen, you can hear it in the engine. That ‘zzzzzzz’ sound.” Together we listen to it, and the wheels spin as the sound intensifies. Inertia forces me to relax and recline into my seat as we speed down the runway.


“We’re going about 200 miles per hour. And he pulls the nose slightly up – up – and we’re off!” This is Pa’s passion. He could listen to this all day and appreciate the beautiful intricacies of an airplane’s engine.


I pick up conversation with Liz again. But before I let her recommence, I glance once at the geometric shapes in the window. And then I don’t look back again.


And that’s because I’m still waiting for this to be real.


I thought about it on my way up here: I’ll never be the same after this. I’ll never know life, nor myself, as I did before. This is what I’ve been waiting for – this unknown and unpredictable change. Not that I am unhappy with who I am, but that the journey to find who I can be is thrilling and wonderful – it’s the very worth of living -- and it's happening now. There’s nothing mundane about the days to come.


To travel is to become a child again. You pass through the atmosphere, and your brain turns to youthful mush, something so easily shaped and molded, yet with the purposeful retention or omission of an adult’s. An impression is going to be made.


This is it. I am on an exploratory journey for my own potential, or perhaps even my own fulfillment. This is the ripest age in my life yet – the era of teetering at the cliff’s edge. Will I fall into the open mouth of adulthood – where rocks knock you unconscious, and where waters take you to some pre-determined place? Salvation from such banal existence requires a strong mix of desperation and determination. The American dream of pretty homes and nice, cute families is, to me, the Bermuda Triangle.


I would rather fly than drop like a stone into such a fate.


It isn’t just a matter of preference, though. It is a matter of bravery. Because for some reason, it seems you can only sprout wings if you can force yourself to jump.


College has lain down the plank.

5 comments:

  1. Enjoy Brooke! I'll be excited to take this journey via your blog! I'm anxious now for your next entry! You've got me hooked! And you did say you were going to be a writer?!? If not, your talents are numerous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a strong feeling that one day the world will know Brooke Myers. She will do the one thing that we all strive to do...make a positive difference in the world.

    Savor your adventure!

    Uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there anything that evokes more emotions simultaneously than watching a baby bird leave the nest for the first time? - fear, sadness, excitement and pride fight an emotional battle for supremacy, but all soon surrender in tears down a mother's face. We're all so proud of you, little bird. Spread your wings and take with you all of our emotions, but mostly, love.

    Miss Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. The view from the cattle car obscures the beauty of flying. The front seats are the best in the house, and usually you don't fall asleep in those. There's a certain tranquility when you see the stars at 40,000 feet in the middle of the night, almost a romantic setting until you look at the other pilot and realize there's definitely no romance anymore. A red ball begins to rise as the clouds turn purple, pink and orange. If it happens to be a moody time of the month, you might even tear up when you realize someone is actually paying you to see this event. Each sunrise is special, no one ever exactly the same as the other. As you hurtle through these clouds at 600 mph, you can see the beams of sunlight piercing through as though the hand of God is reaching out to you, and it says "wake up dummy, you're supposed to be flying the plane!" Will this be the closest one gets to flying like an angel, who knows.
    All of this tranquility ends when you realize you've missed your descent point, haven't programmed the computer, and now you're just praying for a soft landing. Ah, is this all a dream? Have fun kiddo, these are the best teenage years b/c next year you'll be a 20 a bit wiser.:)

    ReplyDelete